Using essential oils in my daily routine at home and at work has allowed me to truly cultivate my own well-being.
I am a work in progress, personally and professionally, which is actually one and the same, as part of my journey involves blurring the lines between my personal passion and professional purpose to the point that I am truly living my life in a way that they are seamlessly intertwined. I aspire to become the embodiment of my passion and my purpose in this life. It will surely take some time!
Part of this journey is living in a way that aligns more closely with what I believe in professionally–that in order for us to solve the challenges we face ecologically, we must both recognize the power we have as individuals to make an impact, as well as to empower those living at the interface with wildlife and wild spaces to better their own livelihoods and well-being, so that they in turn can become better stewards of the natural resources they depend upon.
As a Board Certified public and environmental health professional with a specialty in wildlife health and toxicology, I am concerned with the lack of education and regulation surrounding the vast amount of chemicals and toxins on the market and in many of the products we use today. Many of these harmful ingredients compromise our health, and eventually end up in terrestrial and marine ecosystems and contribute to the current global ecological crises we are experiencing as conservationists.
As a woman diagnosed with extremely high levels of toxic heavy metals (thallium and barium among others), I have journeyed to reduce toxic exposure in my own life, paying closer attention to what I put into and onto my body.
I am using essential oils to support my well-being, and have joined their team in order to share and support a socially and environmentally responsible company that is making a positive impact in communities at the interface with wildlife and wild spaces in the developing world.
My foray into essential oils began before I was even aware of the term, or that they could be used with the intention of promoting health and well-being.
Of all the pains and difficulties of pregnancy, nausea was the worst. It was a constant companion during the first trimester of all my pregnancies, and other than taking antihistamines (which was undesirable as the drowsiness made daytime productivity near-impossible) the only things that allowed me to keep it at bay were to inhale the scent of fresh lemon peel, and to chew on fresh ginger all day. Little did I realize then that I was using the power of essential oils to find relief!
I re-discovered the beauty of using essential oils a few years later, during a very difficult and stressful time which left me dealing with a lot of anxiety, and my first panic attack, something I had never before experienced. While researching solutions for calming these high emotions, I came across some literature that explained how citrus oils were grounding and helped to bring PTSD sufferers out of flashbacks and into the present moment, and I was both intrigued and in love with the idea of using Mother Nature to heal.
I gave oils a try, and to say I was hooked is an understatement. I began bringing oils into my life with a fervor, and eagerly tried every oil and blend available within a matter of a few short months, to enhance my emotional, physical, and overall well-being. They are now a part of my daily routine and I cannot imagine life without them.
I have incorporated essential oils into my life for a wide variety of uses including:
productivity and focus at work
stress relief and better sleep
minor physical ailments
prevention of illness
laundry and household
cooking and baking
and especially in my teas and lattes!
Making small, conscious changes in the products you buy and use can, over time, lead to a substantial shift in the way you feel as well as the imprint you leave on the planet. I want to support your well-being so that together, we can be the change we wish to see in the world. I want to educate and empower you to become a more conscious consumer, so that you can transform not only your own well-being, but the health and well-being of our planet.
Essential oils are the naturally occurring, volatile aromatic compounds are found in the seeds, bark, stems, roots, flowers, and other parts of plants. These compounds provide the characteristic scents for plants we are familiar with, including herbs, trees, and flowers we all know and love. In addition to their characteristic and signature fragrance, they play a crucial role in protecting plants from sun damage, plant pathogens, pests, and premature decay, and assist plants in attracting pollinators for reproduction. Plants even use these aromatic compounds to communicate with other plants of the same species, for example when a pest feeds on them, so that nearby conspecifics can up-regulate production of these protective compounds.
Ideally you want to look for oils that are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade. This ensures that the oil is:
- Pure and natural, with aromatic compounds carefully extracted from plants
- Free from fillers or artificial ingredients, with no dilution of active qualities
- Free of contaminants, pesticides, or chemical residues
- Laboratory tested using gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GC/MS) to ensure exact purity and composition potency
- Sourced by a global network of leading essential oil chemists and growers to ensure correct species, growth in ideal environments, and that raw plant materials were carefully harvested at the right time.
Ethnomedicine, and ethnoveterinary medicine have been used for centuries in many traditional cultures. Unfortunately with the anthropogenic stressors of human expansion, habitat loss, and unsustainable agricultural practices, many native plants that are crucial for biodiversity (many of which contain compounds that may hold the key to treating and curing some of our deadliest illnesses like cancer and infectious disease) are threatened or endangered with extinction. In order to preserve indigenous plant biodiversity and promote ecohealth and wildlife biodiversity in turn, it is critical for us as consumers to support companies that believe in supporting farmers on the ground with fair-trade, sustainably sourced, and ethically produced oils. I chose the company that met each of the following criteria:
- Has established a Global Botanical Network, and works with farmers and distillers in over 40 countries to provide essential oils to customers around the world.
- Business model with a positive impact on both the consumer as well as the producer/harvester, and the communities where the oils are sourced. Many essential oils come from developing countries where they do not enjoy the basic amenities of our modern world. Choosing a company with a sourcing model that eliminates the middlemen and partners directly with communities at the interface will allow you to act as a conscious consumer, and you can feel good about your purchase.
- Philanthropic 501c3 Foundation that brings healing and hope to the world by providing global communities with the tools needed to become self-reliant. Through projects addressing the needs of microcredit lending; access to healthcare, education, sanitation and clean water; and fighting child sex-trafficking; individuals are empowered and lives are changed. They also ensure that 100 percent of all donations go directly to those receiving aid.
- Works in strict compliance with CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora). CITES provides the international agreement between governments to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival. Voluntarily, systematically, and enthusiastically complies with CITES recommendations and restrictions.
- Promotes the conservation of native flora and the preservation of ethnomedicine in the communities where oils are sourced.
I love thinking about the connection between my desire to improve my own health, and my purchases making a positive impact on communities living interdependently with nature.
Learn more about essential oils
You'll learn about the oil of the month, along with tips for incorporating essential oils into your life to enhance your well-being!